- Set the room temperature between 25°C to 27°C.
- When a hot day is expected, turn on the air conditioner early rather than wait until the building becomes hot.
- Adjust air conditioner louvres towards the ceiling (as cool air falls).
- Have your unit serviced regularly, and keep filters clean.
- Install your air conditioner on the shady side of the building and make sure the air flow around it isn’t obstructed.
- Go to energyrating.gov.au/calculator to compare running costs of similar sized air-conditioners (cooling only or reverse cycle).
- When it’s cold, set your thermostat between 18°C and 20°C.
- Check your heater is appropriately sized for your space.
- Think about insulation, keeping draughts out and using effective window coverings.
- Close doors to zone your home and use reversible ceiling fans to redistribute built up heat.
- Don’t leave your heating running overnight or while you are out.
- Use a timer to turn heating off and on automatically.
Energy Saving Tips brought to you by www.energyrating.gov.au